The following information is from the Chester County Health Department
2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a virus (more specifically, a coronavirus) identified as the cause of an outbreak of respiratory illness first detected in Wuhan, China. Chinese health officials have reported tens of thousands of cases of COVID-19 in China, with the virus reportedly spreading from person-to-person in parts of that country. COVID-19 illnesses, most of them associated with travel from Wuhan, also are being reported in a growing number of international locations, including the United States.
There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19 infection. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to this virus. However, as a reminder, CDC always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
These are everyday habits that can help prevent the spread of several viruses.
Health Department Response Activities
Through the Health Operations Center:
- Monitor the coronavirus outbreak through information from our federal and state partners, including the CDC and the Pennsylvania Department of Health
- Conduct disease surveillance and investigate any suspected cases of coronavirus
- Communicate with healthcare providers updated treatment and testing information and guidance as it becomes available from the CDC
- Develop and share appropriate and timely community partner communications
- Ensure release of accurate and culturally-competent public information
- Post trustworthy information on Health Department social media channels
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)