Property Tax Collection
Frequently Asked Questions about Borough-managed Property Tax Collection
The Borough is collecting the
2024 BOROUGH of WEST CHESTER PROPERTY TAX
- Contact Borough of West Chester email@example.com for the 2024 BOROUGH of WEST CHESTER PROPERTY TAX.
- Contact Chester County at 610-344-6370 for the 2023 and prior years Borough of West Chester Property Tax information.
- Taxes 2024 Letter to Property Owners
The 2024 Borough of West Chester Property Tax bills will be mailed by the last week of February, with instructions on how to make payments. PLEASE CONTACT YOUR PROPERTY OWNERS TO MAKE SURE THEY REMIT THE BILLS TO YOU.
- The property owners are responsible for forwarding the bills to their escrow/mortgage company.
- Payment deadlines: discount by 4/15/2024, face by 6/17/2024, penalty after 6/17/2024.
- Once check for each bill with the associated account number on the check memo line.
- All payments should be submitted with the bill/coupon.
Q: Why is the Borough now collecting property taxes instead of the County?
There are several reasons for this change:
- Increased Efficiency: By consolidating tax collection under the Borough administration, we can streamline processes, reduce redundancy, and achieve cost savings.
- Improved Communication and Service: Having a local point of contact for Borough property tax matters will simplify communication for residents and property owners, leading to quicker resolution of inquiries and concerns.
- Greater Local Control: Bringing tax collection in-house allows the Borough to tailor policies and procedures to better meet the specific needs of our community.
Q: My mortgage company handles property tax payments through an escrow account, do I need to do anything?
You will need to forward your tax bill to your mortgage company.
Q: How will I know when my new tax bill is due and where to send my payment?
Starting with 2024, you will receive your property tax bills in the mail from the Borough of West Chester. Your bill will indicate the due date and payment options, including online, mail, and in-person locations.
Q: Will my existing property tax exemptions still apply?
Yes, all existing exemptions will continue to be honored by the Borough.
Q: How will this affect the appeals process?
The process for appealing your property tax assessment remains unchanged. You can still file an appeal with the Chester County Board of Assessment.
Q: What happens if I miss a payment under the new system?
Late payment penalties and delinquency procedures established by the Borough will apply to all past due property taxes. You can find more information about these policies on the Borough website at www.west-chester.com.
Q: Who can I contact if I have questions or concerns?
You can call the Finance Department at 484-887-2796 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: Can I choose to still pay my municipal taxes to the County?
No, due to the transition, the County will no longer be accepting property tax payments for Borough of West Chester properties. Please use the designated payment options provided by the Borough's Finance Department.
Q: The County’s website still states I can pay my West Chester Borough property taxes through them, is that correct?
No, the County’s website may still list out-of-date information.