Recycling in West Chester follows the same schedule as trash collection. The Borough's recycling program is a single-stream, curbside collection program. This means that the following recyclables may be mixed together in your blue 20-gallon recycling container:
- Aluminum beverage cans
- Glass bottles and jars
- Clean aluminum foil and take out containers
- Empty aerosol cans
- Mixed paper (i.e. newspaper, junk mail, office paper, etc.)
- Rigid plastic containers, bottles, & jugs #1-7 (NO Styrofoam or plastic bags, films, bubble wrap)
- Steel food and beverage cans
The following items are NOT accepted in the Borough's Recycling Program:
- Any plastics that are not labeled #1-7 (ex: children's toys)
- Plastic bags, films, and bubble wrap - they cannot be separated from commingled recycling
- Polystyrene (i.e. Styrofoam)
- Pizza boxes contaminated with food/grease. You may remove the top portion of the box if it is not contaminated & place it in your bin. The bottom portion should be placed in your trash can.
- Waxed cardboard (i.e. frozen food packaging, coffee cups, etc.)
- Hazardous Materials: Paint, Fluorescent bulbs, motor oil bottles, etc.)
Recycling containers cost $15 per container and can be purchased at the Public Works Department, 205 Lacey St. There is no limit to the amount of recycling you may put out each week, so we encourage you to purchase extra bins if needed. Remember to print your address on the container in the space provided. Residents may also choose to use their own containers for recycling. Containers must be no larger than 30-gallons in size and shall not exceed 50 pounds in weight when filled, as per the Borough Code Chapter 62-12. All containers must be clearly marked for recycling and have drainage holes in the bottom to prevent standing water from collecting.