SPF Incentive Program
The primary goals of the Borough’s credit program are to:
- Encourage private investment in installing and maintaining private SMPs.
- Ensure the SPF is equitable and fair by recognizing that stormwater management activities on private property can result in cost savings for the Borough which should translate into a reduced fee for the property.
The credit program has two components, a Residential Rebate and Credit Program, and a Non Residential Credit Program. Detailed information on the policies and procedures for both programs can be found in the “Stream Protection Fee Program Credit, Rebate Policies and Procedures Manual.
What type of SMPs can I get a Credit or Rebate?
Table 1 in the Credit Manual lists the eligible SMPs that qualify for a rebate and/or credit under the Borough’s program. SMPs must be designed in a manner consistent with design criteria set forth in the Pennsylvania Stormwater Best Management Practices Manual (PA DEP Document No. 363-0300-002) as amended/updated.
Where can I learn more about installing an SMP on my property?
There are a number of resources available to assist property owners with installing SMPs on their property. The Credit Manual includes some design considerations, and should be reviewed in detail before undertaking any SMP construction. Green Infrastructure fact sheets have been prepared for the Borough and provide helpful information for property owners.
Property owners are encouraged to utilize the following free resources for SMP design and construction found online:
- Homeowner’s Guide to Stormwater Management prepared by the Philadelphia Water Department in 2006
- Homeowner’s Guide to Stormwater produced by the Lancaster County Conservation District in 2013
- The Alliance for the Chesapeake Bay has developed a website, Reduce Your Stormwater, which provides do-it-yourself guidance for constructing SMPs.
- The Chesapeake Stormwater Network has developed a Homeowner Guide that provides excellent step-by-step guidance on designing, constructing and maintaining rain gardens, rain barrels, pervious pavers, and planting trees.
- The Pennsylvania Stormwater Best Management Practices Manual is the current regulatory design guidance for our state, available online PA DEP Document No. 363-0300-002.